Saturday, March 10, 2007

Mr. No Rhythm goes into the world of music . . . maybe

I realised some time ago that I had not blogged for . . . well, some time. This is largely due to the keen observation powers of my wife and a few good friends (those of you who actually read this thing).

So, viola! Here's a new blog entry. Let's make believe it hasn't been since November '06 since I last did an entry.

The school I work at recently received a much needed shipment of instruments for our students. In the shipment was a clarinet, which I was excited to see and have now taken home with me.

Let me explain some back history here:

Way back in year 7 and 8 in school (oh, 1990 or so if my mathematical skills hold up) I was in the school band and played the clarinet. Not the base clarinet, just the normal "Benny Goodman" looking type. As you can tell my knowledge of my instrument has faded some.

I learned to play on a rather nice, antique instrument that my father also learned to play on. If I'm not mistaken it was made of rosewood or some other beautifully sounding and appearing wood with silver plated keys. The instrument, as I remember it, was an impressive sight.

After ceasing lessons in year 8 I didn't pick up the instrument in a few years and even then only rarely just to put it together, to play a few notes and such and that would be it.

Fast forward to now . . . 17 years have passed since my last official lesson. My passion for the instrument resurged when the music teacher at my school recommended that I, even in my utter lack of talent, join the staff soul band. I agreed on condition that an instrument be procured for me and I receive lessons. Well, the conditions have been partially met with only lessons to be formalised.

I'm now the holder of a black acrylic body, stainless steel key standard Yamaha clarinet. According to some websites it's a very good beginner instrument as it is sturdy and forgiving. Well, that's good. My dream, though, is to have my old antique beauty shipped to me from back home in the States. I hope that it is still in good condition as it was re-conditioned when I began playing it. Will those years (at least 10) of little use and much storage have slowly weathered away the pads, slowed the keys or made the cork rings crack?

Anyway, wish me luck on this (my newest) adventure.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really cool. I am missing my music time, these days. There's no reason to practise other than my own knowledge that I used to be better than I am now. It's great that there's an offer of the staff ensemble, I suspect it will be better than pure self-motivation!

11 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home